1. Uploading assets directly to Pics.io
Click on the Upload icon in the top left corner of the main Pics.io screen. It's situated right under the yellow Pics.io logo. To upload new assets to Pics.io, select them from your device or simply drag'n'drop them to the screen.
You may also upload files to the definite collection by clicking on the "Upload" button next to the collection name as it is shown on the screenshot and video below.
Where do my files appear in Pics.io after upload?
The assets will be added to a collection which is selected at the moment. We strongly recommend to store your assets in collections to keep things organized. As you upload your assets you can comment, add some metadata info and attach keywords to make them more searchable. Scroll down to see more details about what you can do before uploading your files to Pics.io.
Uploading individual assets and in bulk
You can select numerous assets for to be uploaded to Pics.io. However, in case of slow internet connection or when you work with heavy assets (e.g. high-res RAW files), you'd better choose a setting that will let you upload one asset at a time.
It is also possible to upload the whole folder (or multiple folders) with files from your device to Pics.io. All the structure will be the same as in your folder. New subcollections will be created. You may rename the subcollection later if necessary.
How can I track upload progress?
After uploading of the files starts, you can track the progress of uploading in the “Upload” menu on the left-side panel. If there are a lot of assets to be uploaded, you may minimize the Upload window to continue working with Pics.io meanwhile.
NB! Uploading assets to lightboards has some peculiarities.
2. Uploading assets to a cloud storage
Pics.io works on top of your cloud storage. So you may upload assets to your Google Drive folder or Amazon S3 bucket connected to Pics.io. After that, you'll need to synchronize them with Pics.io. If you'd like the changes to be displayed in your Pics.io library right now, you need to make manual sync. If you're using Google Drive, the storage can be synchronized automatically depending on your billing plan.
We also recommend you to check our Complete Guide to Uploading your Files to Google Drive, where you can learn about a variety of ways how you can add your files to Google Drive.
What if I have issues with uploading assets to my Pics.io library?
If you have any issues with uploading new files to your Pics.io library, please make sure you have no plugins (like AdBlock or uBlock) added to your browser. In case you have such, please disable these extensions and try again. If the issue still persists, please contact us at email@example.com or via chat with more details for further investigation of the problem.
Sometimes after uploading the file cannot be previewed and shows the error message (as on the screenshot below). It means that the file is 'broken' and its size is 0 bytes. You may try to re-upload the file to your Google Drive and make sync. In most cases it may fix the issue.
What can I do before uploading my assets to Pics.io?
Every time you upload an asset to Pics.io, you are offered a couple of additional options:
- Leave comments - tell your teammates something about the newly uploaded asset. The comment will appear in the Activity panel. Depending on the team policy, you may be required to leave a comment every time you upload a new asset or revision.
- Update title or description - fill in these fields to make your assets more verbally-specified.
- Attach keywords - describe your newly uploaded asset with the help of keywords. You can either choose them from the dropdown menu of the available keywords or create a new keyword right on the spot. It is also possible to copy/paste keywords for your assets right on the Import panel.
- Assign users - assign the newly uploaded asset to some particular member of your team. The list of users assigned to the asset can be found in the Infopanel.
- Mark assets - use color labels, ratings or flags to mark your assets.
- Change metadata/custom fields - update the necessary information on your assets in the corresponding metadata/custom fields.
If you're a member of the team, some of the meta fields may be obligatory to fill in for you before uploading new files or revisions to your Pics.io library. Learn more about how to manage team policies.
NB! Uploading .INDD files
Some file formats have special requirements before uploading to your Pics.io account.
In order for .INDD files to be properly shown in Pics.io, you need to make the following changes in the Adobe InDesign settings:
- go to the Preferences (for MacOS) or Edit Preferences (for Windows);
- from the drop-down menu select File Handling;
- enable the checkbox Always Save Preview Images with Document;
- set Pages -> All pages and Preview Size -> Extra Large;
- save the settings and restart the program.
After these changes, InDesign will automatically create previews for files.
What happens after files are uploaded to my Pics.io library?
Once the upload has finished, the corresponding files will appear in your connected cloud storage. After the upload, Pics.io system captures all the available metadata and keywords that may have already been stored inside the asset. They are parsed from the file and saved in the corresponding fields.
While Pics.io is processing your uploaded assets, it's not possible to make any changes of the info in the Details panel. After the processing is completed, you are free to update the necessary fields of your files.