Collections help you store your assets in order and navigate through them fast. You can see your entire tree of collections in the left side panel of the main Pics.io screen. All the collections are arranged alphabetically by default.
What can I do with my collections?
First of all, using collections you may organize all your assets in a proper way. Once you locate the mouse cursor on the name of the chosen collection in the tree of collections, the whole line becomes gray offering you several buttons to utilize.
- “Upload a file” button allows you to upload the document directly to the chosen collection.
- “Create nested collection” button allows to create a subcollection within the selected collection.
- “Add to Favorites” button gives a “star status” to the chosen collection and automatically places it into the “favorites” folder so that you can find it even faster.
- “Publish to web" button starts the process of creating a website out of the files in the chosen collection.
- “Delete collection” button allows you to delete the chosen collection alongside with all the assets inside this collection. If the assets from this collection are attached to other collections or lightboards, these files will be removed from those collections (lightboards) as well.
- “Rename collection” button allows you to edit the name of the selected collection.
- "Move collection" button allows you to place one collection inside another. NB! Before you do so, make sure that 'Move collection' permission is enabled for both collections: the one you want to move and the one which is your destination.
How can I upload assets to my collections?
There are several ways to add a file to a certain collection.
- Utilize “Upload a file” button after you choose a collection from your collection tree in the left panel.
- Choose a collection you want while going through the general file uploading process.
- Simply drag and drop your file into a collection you need.
Can I keep assets in more than one collection at a time?
Yes, you can keep your assets in several collections at the same time. To understand which collection a file belongs to, mouse over its thumbnail or open the Infopanel by clicking on the ‘i’ icon placed in the top right corner of the screen.
NB! There’s one important comment here, however, for those who use Team Drive. The latter restricts the location of your assets to only one folder within Team Drive. It means that you can’t keep your asset in more than one collection. Read more about integration with Team drive here.
If you would like to remove an asset from one collection, but keep it in another, you may simply detach the asset by clicking on the 'X' button next to the collection name in the Infopanel -> 'Collections' section. Feel free to check more details about removing assets in Pics.io here.
How can I attach assets to another collection?
- Open the collection you need and select the files you want to add to a different collection.
- Drag and drop the selected assets to any other collection from the tree of collections you can see on your left.
- In the pop-up window select 'Add selected assets to the collection' and confirm the action.
NB! If you work with usual Google Drive, the assets are saved in both collections. But if you use Team Drive, the assets are actually moved from one collection to another, i.e. they can’t be located in both collections at the same time.
How can I move assets from one collection to another?
- Open the necessary collection and select the assets you want to move to a different collection.
- Drag and drop the selected assets to any other collection from the collections tree on the left-side.
- In the pop-up window select 'Move selected assets into the collection' and confirm the action.
If you've made the pop-up window hidden, to move files just hold 'Option' (for MacOS) / 'Alt' (for Windows) and drag'n'drop them to the necessary collection.
Is there a way to create a private collection in Pics.io?
Sure. Besides shared collections, you can also create personal collections which are accessible and visible to you alone. These are lightboards. Read more about them here.
How can I restrict access to certain collections?
Sometimes you need to restrict access to certain collections for particular teammates. To do so, you should go to Settings - My team - Roles.
There you should click on the "paperclip" icon and select collections that you want to make visible for particular roles. In other words, in Pics.io you can open access to roles rather than actual teammates.
As well, you can control what a teammate can do in a particular collection. For example, you can allow your co-worker to remove assets from one collection but forbid them to delete anything from a different collection. Read more about allowed collections and granular permissions here.
How can I locate assets that do not belong to a certain collection?
In case you have "homeless" assets in your repository, i.e. assets that do not belong to a certain collection, you have two ways to find them:
- Click on the magnifying glass icon in the very left panel of the screen to select Saved Searches. By default the top folder here will be "Uncategorized search”. You can find your "homeless" assets here.
- Use a checkbox at the bottom of your collection tree that says Don’t show assets in nested collections. Once you select a collection and tick this checkbox, Pics.io will show you only those assets that do not belong to any nested subcollection within this selected collection. It means that you will see your “homeless” files separately and sort them out the way you think fit.
You may be also interested to learn more about how to remove files from collections here.