The main goal of any Digital Asset Management (DAM) is to be the searchable repository for your digital assets that you can access from wherever you are.
How can I use Pics.io extension for Adobe tools?
- get full access to your Pics.io library without the need to manually download and upload files via your desktop computer;
- search for assets right in Adobe applications using different search filters (except Keywords and Custom fields) or Advanced search;
- navigate through your collection tree to locate the necessary files;
- open assets from Pics.io as new documents or add them as layers (for Photoshop and Illustrator);
- upload final versions back to collections, without leaving Adobe interface (for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign);
- save edited assets back to Pics.io as revisions. This option is available if the file format is PSD (for Photoshop), AI (for Adobe Illustrator) and INDD (for InDesign).
How to install Pics.io extension to Adobe CC tools?
There are two ways to activate the Pics.io plug-in.
1. You can download it from Adobe Creative Cloud. After installation, you can find Pics.io if you navigate to ”Window” -> ”Extensions”. After that you should simply fill in your login credentials, and you're all set.
2. The second way involves the following steps:
- Download Pics.io.ZXP installer on your desktop computer;
- Download free Adobe CC extension manager;
- Pull Pics.io.ZXP file into Extension Manager window;
- Open Adobe app and follow Window - Extensions - Pics.io path;
- Fill in your login credentials to connect your Pics.io digital library.
How can I save files edited in Adobe CC tools to Pics.io?
Once you finish designing assets in Photoshop, you need to click on the 'Save as Asset' button and select the collection where you would like to save these assets. Your newly edited assets will appear in this collection right after that.
There are two ways of saving PSD /AI files to Pics.io from Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator. You can either save the edited file to Pics.io as a new asset or upload it as a revision for the asset. To do the latter, just click on 'Save as Revision' button and a new revision will appear in the Activity panel of this asset.
How to work with Pics.io InDesign plugin?
Once you login to Pics.io plugin, you get access to your library where you can locate the necessary asset using search or collection tree navigation. After that, you may add Pics.io assets to your project by pressing the ‘Place’ button on thumbnails.
NB! All the Pics.io files you’re working with in Adobe InDesign have to be stored locally. You need to choose the default working folder on your computer where the assets will be saved in.
If the working directory is not chosen, you will see the following error message at the bottom of Pics.io plugin:
After an asset is saved to your local folder, you may add it to your project and continue working with the app.
How to add images to my project in Indesign?
To save the final result back to your Pics.io library, you need to do the following:
- Press Cmd (Ctrl) + S on your keyboard to save the file locally;
- After that the file name will appear at the top of the Pics.io plugin;
- Click on the ‘Save as Asset’ button;
- Navigate to the necessary collection and pre-fill the required fields (except keywords and custom fields) if there're any;
- Click on ‘Save’.
It may take some time to generate a thumbnail for a newly uploaded file, it will appear in your Pics.io account.
NB! Files updated in InDesign are saved back to Pics.io in the original format only.
How to work with existing INDD files?
If you have already INDD files in your Pics.io library and you want to make some changes on them, it’s possible to save the updated version back to Pics.io.
You need to click on the ‘Save as revision button’ and save the file locally before uploading to Pics.io.
To open an asset in Pics.io just click on the ‘Open in browser’ button.
Working with Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro apps
If you're working with video files and animations, you may be interested in Pics.io integration with Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro applications. It is possible to add assets right from your Pics.io library to the projects in your After Effects and Premiere Pro apps.
To use the Pics.io extension for Adobe AE, you need to perform the following steps (for MacOS) :
- Open your Adobe app and click on 'Window' -> 'Extensions' -> 'Pics.io';
- Log into your Pics.io account;
- Create space for your project on your computer: click on 'File' -> 'Save as', type the name of your project and select the destination you'd like to save it to;
- After the project is saved locally, you may add necessary files from your Pics.io library to the project: mouse over the asset in Pics.io add-on and click on the 'Add to project' button.
A new folder 'PicsioAssets' will be created on your disk where assets you add to the project will be stored. It's necessary that the files you work with in After Effects and Premiere Pro apps to be saved to the disk before.
Have any questions? Book a product demo with our expert.
Also, you may be interested in other Pics.io integrations: