Besides general Broad Search, Pics.io offers a number of more advanced search mechanisms that you can apply in your work. Using logical operators and wildcards can greatly facilitate your search and make it more versatile.
AND, OR, NOT operators (Boolean Search)
This approach will come in handy when you have a query that contains several search items. Exercising this approach will allow you to either narrow down or broaden your search, depending on your goals.
Have a look at the following examples to see how they work:
- Imagine you are looking for assets that include words red, green, yellow. To do so, you need to type red AND green AND yellow in the search window.
- If you want to select between these three words, type red OR green OR yellow.
- To use a combination of words alongside with AND and OR operators, include the phrases with OR in parentheses. E.g. (yellow OR red) AND (blue OR green).
- If you want to exclude one of the variables, use NOT operator. e.g. red AND yellow NOT green.
You can play around with the variables and change them depending on what you’re looking for. Please note that if you simply type Red AND/OR Yellow, the words may appear individually in search results and, thus, may not be combined the way you want.
If you want to find the exact match (phrase) to your query, please use quotes before and after the query, e.g. “High Falls Waterfall”. The Boolean method (i.e. logical operators) applies to exact phrases as well.
Wildcards are generally used to fill in a missing symbol or a set of symbols in the search query. It helps a lot when you are not entirely sure about the spelling of a word. No problem. The system may be able to identify the missing piece.
Here is how Wildcards work in Pics.io:
- Wildcard characters are usually an asterisk (*) and/or a question mark (?). Asterisk represents one or more symbols, while a question mark represents only one symbol.
- Wildcards can go in the beginning/end of the symbol(s) and in the middle.
- It is possible to have several wildcard symbols in one search.
- Wildcards do not recognize spaces. They can only be used with non-space words.
- Wildcards can be used together with Boolean search and exact match to a phrase method in Pics.io.
- Wildcards recognize hyphens (-) in words.
- Wildcards are not supported within phrase search query.
Here is an example: Searching for the word Waterfall and applying both wildcard options
SEARCHING FOR ASSIGNED USERS
You can also filter your search by assigned users. You may need this in order to check how many tasks are assigned to particular members of your team and which of your team payers have more workload than the others.
To do so, you can enter your teammate’s email address in the search window like this: assignees.email : email@example.com.
And with a click of a button you’ll get all the assets that were assigned to this user.
SEARCHING FOR APPROVED ASSETS
There are several possible scenarios here:
- To find approved assets, type approved:true in the search window.
- To find disapproved assets, type approved:false in the search window.
- To assets that were either approved or disapproved, type _exists_:approved in the search window.
- To find assets that were neither approved nor disapproved yet, type NOT _exists_:approved in the search window.
You can certainly narrow down your search by specifying keywords, collections, color labels, etc.