As a digital asset management service, Pics.io provides all the necessary tools for creative professionals from uploading the initial design brief, throughout the entire project development process, and right up to the final step - project presentation.
Showing your projects to clients and partners outside Pics.io is very easy with the help of public websites. You have a variety of customizable websites to choose from, which all work on any device and in any browser.
How can I create a website?
- Select a collection of files that you want to be showcased on your website.
- Locate the mouse cursor on the name of the collection and click on the “globe” button that says Publish to web.
- Choose a template for the website you want to create. Please note, that if you want to create an interactive website where other people could leave comments, you should choose Proofing Template option.
- Customize your website the way you want: protect your website with a password; set up the website functionality; set up SEO tools, etc.
- Click live preview button to check how your website looks before you publish it.
- Once you have finished setting up the website, press the blue Publish button in the top right corner.
Once you have created a website, the icon next to the name of the collection turns into a globe. In this way, you can easily see which of your collections are published to the web.
Here is a short video for illustrative purposes on how to create a website :
How can I share video files via a website?
Sometimes you need to share your video files outside Pics.io. In order to do it, you need to create a collection and download the necessary videos to it. After that, you need to perform the usual steps of publishing a collection to web as described above.
We recommend to use Lumière template for publishing video files. It is the best theme to show your videos to clients or teammates.
Still, if you need to collaborate with your clients, Proofing template is for you. It allows the people who see your website to interact with you using comments, rating, modifying custom fields, etc.
How will other people get access to the website?
Once the website is created, a message will be sent to your email with a link. You can share this link with anybody to need. If you choose to restrict access to your website with a password, make sure you share it with your collaborators as well.
You can also find the link to the website in the tree of collections. Just mouse over the name of the collection that you used to create your website. One of the options will be “Copy website link to clipboard”.
How can I customize my website?
In the process of creating a website, you can do a number of customizations to serve your goals and needs.
- "Main" tab allows you to configure the layout of your website by choosing the template which fits your needs. Besides, you may customize the web address with your company domain name. By default, it is “https://show.pics.io/collection name”. You can type anything you want instead of “collection name”. If you want to see your own domain DNS included in the website URL address generated by Pics.io, you need to create a CNAME record for a subdomain like sites.yourdomain.com (you can change "sites" with any word) and enter the following value:
show.pics.io. Alternatively, you may create an A record for a subdomain and point it to the following IP address:
184.108.40.206. When DNS propagation is over, you can edit URL in a site settings. Like replace show.pics.io/your-collection-name with sites.yourdomain.com/your-collection-name. If you have indicated your domain name(s) in My team settings, it's possible to select which one you'd like to use for your website. Also, websites on custom domains may be protected with the SSL certificate by LetsEncrypt. Just contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help.
NB! If you already have a website for your main domain (example.com), we recommend to create subdomains and connect them to Pics.io. It won't be possible to create Pics.io website for the page (e.g. yourdomain.com/page), as it will cause conflicts with the main website. In this case you may use subdomains (e.g. sites.yourdomain.com) for the purpose of websites you create in Pics.io.
2. "Security" page. Here you can make your website visitors confirm the consent with terms and conditions on utilizing the website content. It's possible to show the consent when visiting the website or when any assets are downloaded by web users. You may change the default consent text if necessary. Also, you may need to refer a visitor of your website to an external web page to provide him with some additional details. In such cases, you can embed a link into the text shown within the consent window.
To add a hyperlink:
- Open Security section in your website settings;
- Scroll down to the Consent part;
- Enter the following string within "Message for consent when visiting/when downloading" windows for a piece of text that should be clickable:
<a href="https://pics.io/">your text</a>
"https://pics.io/" can be replaced with a link to your web page
your text - can be replaced with your custom text
Besides, you can enable password protection to guarantee the security of your website. Just don’t forget to give the password to your partners and collaborators to access your website.
3. "Notifications" tab allows you to inform non-Pics.io users about the updates happening in your collection published to web.
4. "Customization" page allows you to set up the functionality of the website. For example, you can choose to do the following:
- show/hide contact details;
- show/hide filenames;
- set expiration date;
- limit the range of pictures shown on “Home” page to flagged ones;
- enable/disable “About” page;
- enable/disable “Contacts” page;
- allow/prohibit downloading* files in archives or separately;
- hide/show social media buttons.
It's also possible to select the sorting mode for your website, so the assets inside collections and collections themselves are shown in the particular order. Depending on the type of objects you’d like to sort, in the 'Assets sort order' or 'Collections Sort' sections choose the necessary sorting mode and it will be applied to your website automatically. Sorting for collections is available for all templates except Proofing template.
NB! Please mind that sorting modes you have for the collections/assets in Pics.io and on the published website are to be configured separately.
Proofing template allows even more opportunities for customization, such as allowing your collaborators to change the thumbnail options, leave comments, etc.
* Disclaimer: due to technical limitations, downloading files as an archive is not available for websites with more than 300 files.
5. “SEO” page allows you to set up the SEO tools. In this way you will know who your visitors are and where they come from. Your website can be connected to Google Analytics to track visitors and generate various reports. Here you can also set the custom gallery title to change the site page title that you’ll see in the browser.
6. "Analytics" tab is the place where you can check some basic reports about the performance on your website.
What is the difference between templates?
There are 10 types of websites you can choose from in Pics.io.
A special type of website is Proofing template. It does more than just help you showcase the results of your work. It lets your collaborators and customers interact with your website, i.e. search for the necessary files, rate your assets, leave comments, modify custom fields, etc.
The remaining 9 templates don’t allow interactive collaboration, but they are great to showcase your work in a classy manner. Just click through the gallery of templates and choose what you like best.
If you have sub-collections inside the featured collection and you want your external collaborators to have full access to them, we recommend choosing the following templates: Proofing, Square, Space, Simple or Lumiere (black and white).
How to notify website visitors about changes made on the website?
From time to time, the content of your website is updated when new files are uploaded to the collection. So you have to contact people you shared the website with to notify them about the latest changes.
Pics.io allows you to add their email addresses and send automatic notifications concerning the latest website updates.
For example, an asset revision was disapproved by your CEO and it means that this file cannot be used in a project. If you want to notify your clients about this information, you may add them to the email list. As a result, they will receive a notification email about this event and won’t utilize the image further.
It’s possible to list multiple email addresses so that people who visit your website will be notified about different activities happening in the collection published to the web. Follow the steps below on how to do so:
- Open the website settings by clicking on the globe icon next to the collection name;
- Move to the ‘Notifications’ tab;
- Type or paste the emails of the people you’d like to notify and press Enter on your keyboard;
- Choose between ‘Send all event types’ or ‘Select event types to send’.
Users added to the list will get an email, which requires them to accept the consent and agree to receive notification emails about the events related to this website.
If the website visitor decides not to get notifications about the website, one can unsubscribe from the emails anytime by clicking on the ‘Unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of every notification.
NB! Consent is not shareable between websites. If you’d like a user with the same email address to be notified about multiple websites, you need to add this person to each website separately.
How can I modify the website I have created before?
The websites in Pics.io are created on the basis of your collections. So, if you need to update the content of your website, all you need to do is to update the content of the corresponding collection. The changes will be added automatically and published on the website.
If you want to modify the settings of your website (e.g. you want to change the password), you should do the following:
- Mouse over the title of your website;
- Click on the globe icon, which will take you to the website settings;
- Modify the settings of your website the way you need;
- Press Update settings. All the changes will be saved on your website.
How can I delete a website I created?
When you hover your mouse over the title of your website, one of the icons you can see there is a trash bin. Be careful, though. When you press this icon, you will delete this website together with the corresponding collection. In most cases, you don’t want that.
So, to delete a website without touching the corresponding collection, you should do the following:
- Mouse over the title of your website;
- Select the globe icon, which will take you to the website settings;
- Toggle the 'Stop sharing' button.
In this way, the website will be deleted, but the corresponding collection will remain safe and secure.
How can I embed my website into another online page?
It is possible to insert a single asset or your Pics.io collection published to web right to your website using IFrame.
IFrame is a window frame with a content, image or text file from any other site.
To do so, just mouse over the collection published to web in the right-side collections tree -> click on the globe icon to go to the website settings -> in the "Main" section of the settings copy the website link and paste it into the IFrame string.
Here is an example of how the string should look like:
<iframe src="https://show.pics.io/my_collection" width="468" height="400" />
Please note that it's not possible to use password protection for the assets shared via iframe. Since your content is being loaded into an iframe from a remote domain (pics.io), it is classed as a third-party cookie. As a result password authorization won't work properly via iframe.
If you would like to limit access to the content of your website, you may create it through Pics.io and set the password authorization on it.
Google doesn’t let my collaborators see the assets published on the website. What shall I do?
As Pics.io works on top of Google Drive, the files you share with the help of websites, are actually shared from your Google Drive.
The process of sharing usually goes smoothly. Sometimes, however, your partners and collaborators may complain that they cannot get immediate access to the files and collections on your website because of some Google restrictions. Especially, if you published a video or a pdf file on your website.
If something like this happens, you need to check the settings of your corporate Google account. Make sure you tick the boxes that allow you and your Pics.io teammates to share files outside your Google account to people who don’t belong to your team and who may even not have a Google account whatsoever.
The sharing settings in your corporate Google account should look like this in the end:
You may also be interested in the following articles: